Viña Gravonia Crianza 2006
Old picture of the harvest in Viña Tondonia
Combines with dishes such as:
- Characteristics of the vintage:
- 2006 was recorded in the Rioja region as a VERY GOOD vintage, by the Regulating Council. Besides from suffering a light freeze in mid-April and a hailstone storm at the beginning of July that caused some damage to Viña Tondonia, the resulting harvest of 2006 was slightly superior to the one of 2005. As in the previous campaign, there was an advancement in the budbreak, which was maintained during the whole vegetative cycle until the beginning of the harvest on September 25th in Viña Gravonia, with the white varietals. The pick-up developed as usual apart from the light but persistent rainfalls that didn’t have a negative effect on the quality of the harvest, which could be qualified as good, thanks to the excellent health condition at which the bunches of grapes arrived at that date. The grapes arrived at the bodega in a perfect state of health, with an average degree of 12,8%, very balanced with a good concentration in dyestuff, essential characteristics for producing wines with a vocation for aging, like all the ones from our House.
- Tasting note:
- Colour: Slightly developed pale gold. Nose: FFresh and aromatic. Complex and developed. Bouquet with aromas of
third generation. Taste: Fruity, complex, developed, very fine.
- Grape Varieties:
- Viura (100%), from our own vineyards.
- Ageing period in barrels:
- 4 years, being racked twice a year and
fined with fresh egg whites.
- Ageing period in bottle:
- Rest, unfiltered, bottled in 75 cl. bottles.
- Alcohol Volume:
- 12,5% Vol.
- Total Acidity:
- 5 g/l.
- Residual Sugar:
- Very Dry.
- Perfect with all kind of fish; fried, grilled or boiled. Grilled seafood. Well-seasoned white meat. Very nice with pasta too. See below.
- Storage Tempertaure:
- 10 years in perfect conditions of constant temperature (57ºF / 14ºC)
and humidity (75-80%).
- Serving Temperature:
- 57º to 60ºF (14º to 16ºC) depending of mood and place.
- Quantity made:
- 50,000 bottles.
- All types of fish, ideally firm-fleshed:
- Grilled: sea-bass, sea bream, turbot, mackerel, underside of tuna, monkfish and hake neck cuts. In sauce: cod "al pil-pil" (poached in olive oil), cod "a la riojana" (with peppers and tomato), cod or hake cheeks, hake in parsley sauce, tuna with tomato, tuna with onions, monkfish in "sauce americaine" and so on.
- Rice dishes:
- Sticky, risotto-type rices in seafood stock.
- Fish stews:
- “Marmitako” potato and shellfish stew with lobster; potato and
cod or monk fish...
- A wide variety of scrambled eggs: with oyster mushrooms, prawns, garlic shoots, wild mushrooms and foie. Spanish omelette, or plain fried eggs.
- White meats:
- Roast or marinated chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit...
- Sautéed with oyster mushrooms or seafood.
- Hard cheeses.