Viña Tondonia Red Reserva 2001
- Characteristics of the vintage:
- Recorded by The Regulating Council as EXCELLENT. We harvested 892.065 kilos. There was a frost on April 15th that with only 1 degree below cero damaged around 40 to 50% of the production in Viña Cubillo but not in Viña Bosconia neither in Viña Tondonia. In relation to the quality it was extraordinary due to the very dry summer that stopped any problem with fungus. The grapes arrived to the winery in very healthy conditions. We started harvesting the white grapes on Monday October the 8th and with the read grapes on the 15th which is the average date for harvesting in Rioja Alta. The harvest took place with very good weather lasting 21 days and we finished on October the 29th. The grapes showed a good maturation of the fruit and even a bit higher than the average for Rioja Alta. These wines have become of a great balance and will be able to bottle aged improving even more.
- Tasting note:
- Colour:Vibrant red leading slightly towards
amber. Nose: Light fresh
texture with notes of vanilla and dried berry aromas. Taste: Rich, very dry, smooth, developed. Firm tannins and good balance.
- Grape Varieties:
- Tempranillo (75%), Garnacho (15%), Graciano and Mazuelo (10%), all from
our own vineyards.
- Ageing period in barrels:
- 6 years, racked twice a year and fined with fresh egg whites.
- Ageing period in bottle:
- Rest, unfiltered, bottled in 75 and 37.5
- Alcohol Volume:
- 12,5% Vol.
- Total Acidity:
- 6 g/l.
- Residual Sugar:
- Very Dry.
- Goes well with all meat dishes however prepared. A perfect partner to
a Leg of New Season Welsh Lamb stuffed with wild garlic, rosemary and anchovies.
- Storage Temperature:
- 10 years in perfect conditions of constant temperature (57ºF / 14ºC)
and humidity (75-80%).
- Serving Temperature:
- 64,5º to 68ºF (18º / 20ºC) always depending on mood
- Quantity made:
- 290,000 bottles.